2015 - Michelle Caraway Herren. Powered by Blogger.

Very First Blog Post!

Thursday, March 12, 2015

It is with anticipation and trepidation that I start this blog. I recently had to take a break from the last two years of college because my bipolar disorder mood issues and migraine headaches made it just too hard to keep up with Anatomy & Physiology II, General Chemistry, and Trigonometry. With the health issues I have right now, I'm not sure when (or if) I will be able to go to to school for my chosen field.  It is a stressful and rigorous schedule, and stress is the #1 thing I need to avoid.

So what will I be talking about on this blog? Well, I have been a nationally-published polymer clay and jewelry designer about nine times, and I've even appeared in two segments of HGTV's "That's Clever" craft show (remember when they actually used to show crafting on HGTV?) I have embedded my two segments below so that you can watch them from the comforts of this blog. 


HGTV's "That's Clever" Polymer Clay Tile Clock


HGTV's "That's Clever" Polymer Clay & Handmade Paper Bookmark

I also love working with my Silhouette Cameo die cutting machine. I have completed many a project before thinking about making this blog, so the first few techniques I show you will probably be pretty light on pictures; sorry about that.  From here on out, I promise to improve! I think the die cutting machine has opened up a whole world of crafting for me, and I'd love to share my uses for scrapbooking, transferring vinyl onto projects, decorating your home, be it walls or plaques or signs.  There are some amazing artists out there, and I hope to soon get their permission to link to and tweak some of their great ideas. I'm just starting to get reacquainted with Adobe Photoshop, so hopefully there will be some future lessons on that program.

Oh, yes, let's discuss the big white elephant in the room.  The blog is titled "Tips and Tricks from a Certifiable Crazy Craft Mom".  And it's true.  In 2004, at the age of 31, I was diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.  I have lost friends, been transferred in jobs, had people literally turn from me and ignore me and refuse to speak to me politely for the simple and singular fact that they found out I had a mental disease and they didn't want to take the time to understand what it really meant.  I mean, everyone's seen "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest" right? That must be exactly how all people with mental illnesses behave and how they are medicated. I went to school and got an Associates degree, and then went back in 2012 and went for another 2 years without anyone knowing I was mentally ill.  Remember, 1 in 4 adults in the United States has a DIAGNOSED mental disorder, and there are probably a few more million that are undiagnosed.  

So I guess my nugget of truth from this soapbox rant (which you will rarely see on this blog, unless people specifically ask me for more information) is don't turn your back on people just because they have a neurochemical disorder.  The trick is to take your medicine and you greatly reduce your symptoms, but sometimes medication alone just can't beat the tidal wave hitting you. So please don't assume a symptomatic person with a mental illness isn't following their treatment guidelines just because they are acting a bit off.

Well, I'm at the end of my first blog posting.  I'm not really sure how to promote it, or get others to link to it, or even to get advertisers for the products I use and love (like all those wonderful Silhouette Cameo machine giveaways!) So you if have any suggestions, please let me know!

- Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Search

Test Here

This is a space for short text.

Blogroll

Most Read

About Me

My name is Michelle Herren. I have been married for 22 wonderful years and have 2 teenagers I'm proud of. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2004.

I'm a serious crafter, a published polymer clay artist and a jewelry designer. I even appeared on two segments of the HGTV craft show "That's Clever!"

My site will be a bit eclectic. I will post things on crafting, on homemade bath items, holiday gifts, paper crafting with a die cut machine, stamping, marbled paper, book binding, recipes, home decoration and more!